(I’m working on a decent write up, but ’till then…..)
No Frills photo dump –
I started painting these Jan 1st., as part of a New Year’s resolution to paint more. I wrapped it up with the following pictures March 2nd. The final pictures of a 3′ x 3′ gameboard, I took a couple nights ago.
Ice Caverns – This is 4 sets worth. I’ll get two more.
I vividly recall painting these during an epic snowstorm mid-February, completely snowed in for the weekend, with plenty of reference material on hand.
The storm was blasting the house from all sides, as I was drybrushing the tops of the ice walls.
The main set here is about 380 pieces –
I saw a few wonderfully painted Cavern sets on DF’s forums; lots of earth tones, muds, caramels, cinnamons, glazed honeys, and golden highlights, and that mirrored my thinking about possible schemes – However, somewhere early on, I started to bring in Green along the walls (almost asparagus, really), and the whole set started to feel more ‘jungle-like’.
I have some miniatures wargames which would be well suited for that type of environment (Arcworlde, Shadow Sea, and Hell Dorado for example). So… with Tarzan meets the Phantom as the baseline, I made lots of coffee, and destroyed some brushes.
About halfway thru, I had a good handle on balancing the greens and browns, but the accents were breaking loose into oranges and purples – it all started to get very HR Puffenstuff. I endeavored to scale it back to ‘mildly surreal’, but I admit that’s some pretty weird vegetation.
One of the last fixes (and a major one) was this:On the right, is Pokorny Paint Cavern Drybrush – which was a little too “cold”. I needed to bring up the earth tones, and maybe even a hint of sunlight. I arrived at this simple formula for the Final Drybrush on the left: (Pokorny Paint) 50% Olive Dry, 50% Cavern Dry, and a few drops of Vallejo Transparent Yellow. It looks spectacular in Real sunlight.
Last weekend I set up a 3′ x 3′ board in the dining room (which has great lighting for playing, terrible lighting for photos). It was just for a quick demonstration, so I didn’t actually plan it out very much. I used about 3/4 of the whole set. The large statue-like pieces are from the pet store. They’re for aquariums, I think.
I couldn’t find any pictures of just the water tiles. I took 3 runs at them, and finally settled on these very matte blues.
I learned a lot from doing this, and many brushes died heroically.
These are tiles I made from
Your Board moulds, Texture Stamps, some Sculpey clay, and paint.
This is my first batch, which I raced thru on the day they arrived (…well most of the work happened then, tho I gave them a quick once over this morning).
Here they are basking in the summer heat:
Here’s some WIP’s:
Also, some bases I made with the stamps (and milliput) –
and this is where I wrapped up the first day, feeling very good about it –
The 3″x3″, 2″x3″, 2″x2″, 1″x2″ ‘s all feel good. The larger one I made (a 5″x3″) seems like it’s living on borrowed time. I’ll try a 3″x4″ but that might be pushing it. Still, that’s a lot if choices.
I should also point out that having a variety of Texture Stamps really opens things up. I also wish I’d gotten more wall molds.
– of course now I’m envisioning buildings with double backed wood-post supported 6″ long walls, second stories, front (and back) door, maybe a porch, etc.. but I need more clay.