I started painting these Jan 1st., as part of a New Year’s resolution to paint more. I wrapped it up with the following pictures March 2nd. The final pictures of a 3′ x 3′ gameboard, I took a couple nights ago.
Ice Caverns – This is 4 sets worth. I’ll get two more.
I vividly recall painting these during an epic snowstorm mid-February, completely snowed in for the weekend, with plenty of reference material on hand.
The storm was blasting the house from all sides, as I was drybrushing the tops of the ice walls.
The main set here is about 380 pieces –
I saw a few wonderfully painted Cavern sets on DF’s forums; lots of earth tones, muds, caramels, cinnamons, glazed honeys, and golden highlights, and that mirrored my thinking about possible schemes – However, somewhere early on, I started to bring in Green along the walls (almost asparagus, really), and the whole set started to feel more ‘jungle-like’.
I have some miniatures wargames which would be well suited for that type of environment (Arcworlde, Shadow Sea, and Hell Dorado for example). So… with Tarzan meets the Phantom as the baseline, I made lots of coffee, and destroyed some brushes.
About halfway thru, I had a good handle on balancing the greens and browns, but the accents were breaking loose into oranges and purples – it all started to get very HR Puffenstuff. I endeavored to scale it back to ‘mildly surreal’, but I admit that’s some pretty weird vegetation.
One of the last fixes (and a major one) was this:On the right, is Pokorny Paint Cavern Drybrush – which was a little too “cold”. I needed to bring up the earth tones, and maybe even a hint of sunlight. I arrived at this simple formula for the Final Drybrush on the left: (Pokorny Paint) 50% Olive Dry, 50% Cavern Dry, and a few drops of Vallejo Transparent Yellow. It looks spectacular in Real sunlight.
Last weekend I set up a 3′ x 3′ board in the dining room (which has great lighting for playing, terrible lighting for photos). It was just for a quick demonstration, so I didn’t actually plan it out very much. I used about 3/4 of the whole set. The large statue-like pieces are from the pet store. They’re for aquariums, I think.
I couldn’t find any pictures of just the water tiles. I took 3 runs at them, and finally settled on these very matte blues.
I learned a lot from doing this, and many brushes died heroically.
These are tiles I made from
Your Board moulds, Texture Stamps, some Sculpey clay, and paint.
This is my first batch, which I raced thru on the day they arrived (…well most of the work happened then, tho I gave them a quick once over this morning).
Here they are basking in the summer heat:
Here’s some WIP’s:
Also, some bases I made with the stamps (and milliput) –
and this is where I wrapped up the first day, feeling very good about it –
The 3″x3″, 2″x3″, 2″x2″, 1″x2″ ‘s all feel good. The larger one I made (a 5″x3″) seems like it’s living on borrowed time. I’ll try a 3″x4″ but that might be pushing it. Still, that’s a lot if choices.
I should also point out that having a variety of Texture Stamps really opens things up. I also wish I’d gotten more wall molds.
– of course now I’m envisioning buildings with double backed wood-post supported 6″ long walls, second stories, front (and back) door, maybe a porch, etc.. but I need more clay.
I removed the earlier pictures.
They were lame, and I did them in a rush. Some last minute changes to the model didn’t pan out.
So, I ‘rewound’ the Asharah’s paint-job, using an earlier photo as reference, here:
After that is were it started to get away from me, a bit.
I can already see roads untaken… Will post newer version soon.
Wow, Bazillion pictures.
Okay, so lots of stuff from bags 96 and 180 –
The last guy came out a little fuzzy, oops! Also, he didn’t come with wings (aw, too bad). I took a closer look at those Forsakers, and I can see why they didn’t meet Adam’s eagle eye quality test – but I’m certainly looking forward to doing what I can with them.
So, some Morland figures arrived the same day –
Also, here’s some bases I started making with the stamps from the Happy Seppuku KS – (oh crap, why didn’t take a picture of the actual stamps? shoulda…)
Here’s Lilith (yeah, I see the hairs stuck on her coat now..)
I wish you guys could hear this Nina Hagen song that’s blasting while I’m doing this. I can add a music player? Is that right? maybe later… But a nice transition into some WIP’s like Bombshells Valkyrie (so close to done) –
Lastly, but not leastly, some TKP WIP – See that hole I drilled into her left hand? There’s another sword that goes in that. The cleavage got a little obscured by paint, so I took a blade to it after. That should work out okay by the end.
That’s a wrap for now. There’s more, but I just felt like hitting some highlights.
Hans Rudolf Giger
So, I had these Secret Weapon bases drying, and I thought I’d really need to see some minis on them to judge how successful the experiment was (I’m still not convinced, however…). Anyway, I had some RH Blood Vestals that I’ve been meaning to get to…. So, let’s get started.
Giger Banner Vestal –
So, fairly pleased with her, she’s a killer figure.
Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: Because he was afraid to freehand the banner.
I just haven’t decided what to do with it yet. I haven’t sealed her, so I can go back in when I’ve got a plan. I was more concerned with the blue skin, honestly – I’ve never tried odd skin tones like this before. Also, I wanted to bang these two out quickly (two and half days from Primed to Based is pretty good for me). Oh my, I just reread that last sentence…
For the second girl (we’ll call her Lily Vestal), I inverted the colors on the hair and armor.
I’ll go back in and do a little touch up on the faces – They read okay on the table, but blown up on the monitor I’m defiantly seeing room for improvement (coulda sworn I hit those eyes, oops).
Giger Girls Gone Wild –
kinda, makes me wonder about what to do with the sci fi versions…