my df caverns

I started painting these Jan 1st., as part of a New Year’s resolution to paint more. I wrapped it up with the following pictures March 2nd. The final pictures of a 3′ x 3′ gameboard, I took a couple nights ago.

Ice Caverns – This is 4 sets worth. I’ll get two more.

Ice Caverns 00

I vividly recall painting these during an epic snowstorm mid-February, completely snowed in for the weekend, with plenty of reference material on hand.

Ice Caverns 01

The storm was blasting the house from all sides, as I was drybrushing the tops of the ice walls.

Ice Caverns 02

 

The main set here is about 380 pieces –

Elevations 01

I saw a few wonderfully painted Cavern sets on DF’s forums; lots of earth tones, muds, caramels, cinnamons, glazed honeys, and golden highlights, and that mirrored my thinking about possible schemes – However, somewhere early on, I started to bring in Green along the walls (almost asparagus, really), and the whole set started to feel more ‘jungle-like’.

DF Walls 00

I have some miniatures wargames which would be well suited for that type of environment (Arcworlde, Shadow Sea, and Hell Dorado for example). So… with Tarzan meets the Phantom as the baseline, I made lots of coffee, and destroyed some brushes.

Floor Tiles 00Floor Tiles 01

About halfway thru, I had a good handle on balancing the greens and browns, but the accents were breaking loose into oranges and purples – it all started to get very HR Puffenstuff. I endeavored to scale it back to ‘mildly surreal’, but I admit that’s some pretty weird vegetation.

DF Corners 00

One of the last fixes (and a major one) was this:Drybrush Fix 00On the right, is Pokorny Paint Cavern Drybrush – which was a little too “cold”. I needed to bring up the earth tones, and maybe even a hint of sunlight. I arrived at this simple formula for the Final Drybrush on the left: (Pokorny Paint) 50% Olive Dry, 50% Cavern Dry, and a few drops of Vallejo Transparent Yellow. It looks spectacular in Real sunlight.

Last weekend I set up a 3′ x 3′ board in the dining room (which has great lighting for playing, terrible lighting for photos). It was just for a quick demonstration, so I didn’t actually plan it out very much. I used about 3/4 of the whole set. The large statue-like pieces are from the pet store. They’re for aquariums, I think.

3x3 board 003x3 board 01

I couldn’t find any pictures of just the water tiles. I took 3 runs at them, and finally settled on these very matte blues.

3x3 board 02

I learned a lot from doing this, and many brushes died heroically.

* also, I set aside about 160 pieces for an alternate color scheme, Red & Black. I haven’t done them yet, but I ran a quick test…DF Red Test 00

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s